A Slow Meander Through Life

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Cinema Etiquette and the Damn British Way

I'm furious. Absolutely furious. The main problem is that it's my fault, or more correctly it's my fault because I'm cursed with damned Britishness.
I have just returned from seeing the Chronicles of Narnia, and I have had to endure a torturous two and a half hours having my seat gently rocked by one of the four inconsiderate morons that sat behing me whilst talking the entire way through the film. However, because of my inbuilt politeness and lack of desire to disturb the status quo, I did absolutely nothing about the entire situation. All it would have required was a quick 'I'm terribly sorry but...' or 'you appear to be kicking my chair dear chap' or even a lovely 'would you mind awfully...' but no. It would appear that I would rather suffer for nearly three hours than turn around and politely ask someone to leave me alone. Bear in mind that I was there with three friends, two of whom are taller than me, so if there had been problems, I would have had the full backing from them.
Why? Why can't I just say what I think?
I'm not sure if this was a consequence of the four people sat behind, but I hated every single moment of the film. I truly thought that it was awful. What a shame.
I think that little rant is finished.

1 Comments:

  • You have my most sincere sympathies.

    Since enduring a similar experience some years ago for the duration of The Truman Show I now *do* do something, but it's not very British. I stand up, turn round and loudly hiss at them "You fucking inconsiderate cock" (pardon my language) and go and sit somewhere else (capacity allowing). You lose about 5 minutes of the film to adrenaline, but the stunned silence 9 times out of 10 is worth it.

    I don't know if it's something about the film, but there were some naughty boys when I saw it too: someone ELSE exploded at them though. I really think exploding in these situations is something to be encouraged.

    By Blogger Huw, at 1:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home