A Slow Meander Through Life

Monday, November 07, 2005

Bang!

I decided last minute to go to the parent's house for the weekend. It came from a sudden urge not to go on an all day session on Friday. It was Gav's birthday, and the plan to celebrate it was drinking from 2pm to 2am. The simple truth is that I woke up on Friday morning and decided that I couldn't be bothered. If it had been in Lincoln it would have been a different matter - I could have joined later or gone out knowing I could come home early, but it was up in Grimsby and that just wasn't possible. I felt bad - I wanted to celebrate Gav's birthday - but I felt that drinking all day just wasn't going to work for me.
Anyway, Formby for the weekend turned out to be a good choice - the fireworks on Saturday evening (as done by my father) were great - especially the rockets and then the massive roman candle at the end. My nieces were a little overawed by the noise, but it's not really for the kids, is it???
For those not familiar with November 5th, in England it's Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes Night (depending on your preference). The night is a celebration of the failed attempt of Guy Fawkes to blow up the houses of parliament hundreds of years ago. At times, I'm not sure why we celebrate such a thing! However, we have bonfires (and put life size dummies (Guys) on them), and have firework displays. There are big ones organised by clubs, or you can have them in your own back garden. It's all a bit of fun. Typical food - toffee apples and treacle toffee. Anything that destroys your teeth.
I was able to test out the new luggage for the bike - the tailpack. It was perfect, and the run back this morning was great. I normally stop during the 150 miles back over, but I did it in one run this morning. The cold was the only thing that made it difficult, but I'm determined to ride further in one sitting so I can practice for next year when I plan to do some good touring on the bike.
Well, I'd best crack on and follow up some leads for this week. First though some food for the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home