A Slow Meander Through Life

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Pope Benedict XIV

I felt a few comments about the new pope were in order. I watched the ceremony and was very impressed - it was an amazing spectacle and seeing people who are that devoted to their religion was amazing.

I am concerned by the choice (based upon what little I know). The fact that he is very conservative in this day and age worries me. The church's continued opposition to contraception is something that I feel needs to be addressed if only to save lives in Africa. At the end of the day recreational sex is common practice with the entire world, and people need to protect themselves from the dangers of it.

I guess I also wanted someone younger. The crowd in St Peter's square was full of people in their 20s, 30s, 40s. Can a 78 year old man truly represent the needs of these people?

I hope that he is an amazing leader and that he can find the right line between traditional catholic values and what I believe are more realistic values for the world that we live in today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home