A Slow Meander Through Life

Thursday, April 14, 2005

A Few Days With The Parents

I'm back over in Formby, where I was bought up, for a couple of days. I'm trying to put together a website for my brother-in-law, which isn't proving to be too difficult.

Formby is a strange place. It's a dormitory town - everyone sleeps here but works elsewhere, and as a consequence there isn't much to do. The headlines in the Formby Times, the local rag, are about plans to build a skateboard park with a graffiti wall. The skateboard park idea was fine, it would appear, but the graffiti wall is one step too far. The problem with places like Formby is that the younger residents are totally misunderstood. The older residents have lived here 'all their lives' and as a consequence believe that they know what is best for Formby. That's not true. They know what they want but won't listen to what everyone else wants.

This becomes the problem with elections. The General Election is upon us, and we all have to make a decision about who we are going to vote for. Nobody is going to fullfil what I want 100%, so what do I do? Where do I make my compromise? I don't want to vote for someone who spends his time slagging off the opposition, but they all do it. I don't want someone who will promise everything and then give nothing, but they all do that too. So I have to go for the big picture. Who is going to make me more wealthy?

This election is bigger than that though. I'm a bit worried about the world as a whole, and top of the list for me would be any political party that throws themselves 100% behind improving our environment. Forcing people to recycle everything that can be recycled. Stopping people from using cars unecessarily, encouraging the use of public transport by making it very affordable and reliable.
I think I'll continue the rant tomorrow. I'm off for tea with the grandparents which is always a pleasure.

1 Comments:

  • You should join Greenpeace or World Wildlife Fund or some other environmental organization, to find out what you can really do for the world. Or maybe join a charitable organization that helps the less fortunate in Lincoln, or anywhere else in the UK. Baby steps, you see...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home